Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Looking back at 2011

All Goals
It was an eventful 2011 and I learned much from blogging. I didn't hit all of my goals, but, I have a suspicion that I hit more than I would have if I never wrote them down. One thing that I continue to understand is that one goal will usually affect another. For example, my goal to read ten books has benefited my career as I read about management practices. Exercise affects everything in my life as it has increased my energy.

I had some wins and I had some losses. Overall, It was a decent year. Here is what happened:



Family/Spouse 
Goal  #1                                                               Measured by                          
Dates with my wife                                 At least one per month
These are dates that I set up. I call the babysitter and ask out my wife.
Progress
We went on dates every month. We loved it so much that we decided to try at least TWO date nights per month. It has been fantastic taking time to be with my wife without interruption from our almost four year old. Setting up the dates has been made easy with the help of family members and a babysitter we found at our church. 

Goal #2                   
Prepare a question and answer book for fathers.
Measured byWork on a couple of times a week. I dont' plan to finish it by year end.
Progress
I'm about 1/3 the way through it. I've enjoyed visiting my past and thinking about my child(ten) reading this book one day. It's definitely a work of love. I've found out that a leaving a legacy is more than leaving money.

The Faith
Goal #1
Personal Bible Study
Study the Gospel of Matthew
Progress
Finished this in April. It was a very good study and I learned much. In fact I have decided that I will always be learning a book of the Bible with this method. After the Gospel of Matthew I started on Genesis.

Goal #2 -
Men's Bible Study                                            Time frame                                       
Attend men's Bible study at my church           Every Friday morning at 6 am
ProgressAttended almost all classes. There were a few that I missed due to over sleeping. I honestly look forward to the class and it an incentive to getting up an hour earlier. Currently, we are studying Amos.


Financial            
This are changed many times in 2011. This is primarily due to the decision to start preparing our house to be sold in the next year. All extra money - to the exclusion of savings - has been used to fund home improvements. After the house has been updated, we will start saving for the down payment on our new home.

Goal #1          
Payoff all debt except the house
Progress
Paid off 3/15/11
This was one of the highlights of the year. I can't believe it!!!! WE ARE DEBT FREE!

Goal #2                                                     Time frame
Fund Emergency fund of 3-6 months          June 15
Progress
Completed 06/30/2011
Always keep reserves. I need to build this back - emergencies came up.

Goal #3                                                   Time frame
Prepare an investment policy statement       June 15
Progress
Printed off outline from a web site and have started working on it.
Had to back off of this. Our 401k is still with my employer as they have not spun it off. When they do, I will look into investing in single stocks and some mutual funds.


Career 
I didn't list my goals for work in this blog. They include deposit sales, investment sales, referrals, and loan production. I had a very successful year and hit most of my goals at work. My review reflected the good year.


Goal #1         
Research my career path                                                                           
ProgressI have concluded that I want to stay in Wealth Management. I'm considering management or more of a "hunter/killer" role. Recently, a couple of head hunters have called me and have me thinking more and more about my future. There is much to think about.


Goal #2    
Finish Reading Private Wealth Management
ProgressI didn't get even close. Actually, one of my colleagues has the book. I will however, be asking for it back as this will be a major focus in the new year.

Goal #3                                                                      Time frame
Read articles about wealth management issues              Daily
Progress
This goal has been very easy to achieve. There is always something to read about my industry. With
the Internet and a few bookmarked sites, I have no trouble finding information.

Goal #4                                                     Time frame

Meeting by myself                                   Every Friday
Progress
I don't miss this time for anything. I wish I had started this a long time ago. Always begin with the end in mind.


Health 
Goal #1                                                         Time frame
Work out                                                   Monday - Thursday at 6 am
Progress
There have been times that I'm up every morning killing it and other times, well, uh, I stay in bed. I still feel very healthy and my weight has been maintained.

Goal #2                                                              
Run the mile under eight minutes
In order to accomplish this I need to run at 7.5 mph for 8 minutes. 
ProgressIt was a stupid goal. I didn't even try. Remember, goals have to mean something to you and you have to see a vision in pursuing it. No vision here except to kill myself.

Goal #3                                                         Time frame
Get a physical                                                 6/30/2011
ProgressI didn't get a full physical. However, I did get blood drawn for an insurance exam and it came back to show that I'm very healthy. So healthy that they actually lowered my projected premium.


Intellectual / Self Improvement
Goal #1                                                               Time frame
Read ten books                                                   By year end
Progress/ Finished
I have really developed a love for reading and knowledge over the last couple of years. I honestly think reading has developed my mind and has benefited my career.

1. Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
2. The Great Depression: A Diary by Benjamin Roth
3. Return to Prosperity by Arthur Laffer and Stephen Moore
4. The Million Dollar Financial Advisor by David J. Mullen Jr.
5. The Million Dollar Financial Services Practice by David J. Mullen Jr.
6. Questions Great Financial Advisors Ask....and Investors Need to Know by Alan Parisse and David Richman
7. Selling to the Affluent by Dr. Thomas J. Stanley
8. Little Bets by Peter Sims
9. Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain
10. Great by Choice by Jim Collins
11. Practically Radical by William Taylor

Goal #2                                                      
Give four speeches in Toastmasters
ProgressI delivered one speech and worked on another one for nine months. This is one area that I truly believe in. I have to deliver more than one speech in 2012. Communication is essential in my vocation. I have to become better at it in order to be more effective.





No comments:

Post a Comment