Saturday, February 19, 2011

To be a Guest

Spiritual/The Faith

We ascend the stairs in a single line. My wife and child before me and fellow hypocrites, liers, thieves, adulters, slanders, and gossipers behind.  We come as guests to a feast with nothing to offer our Host except our thankfulness. We bring no house warming gift,  no pie or cake for dessert, and certainly not the obligatory bottle of wine.  No, we bring ourselves - a people tattered and beaten up by our sins and the sins committed against us from the previous week as well as our lifetime. 

This is how we start our week.  It's only for a brief moment, but it is one of my favorite times of my week.  During this time, Heaven comes to Earth and the infinite collides with the finite. At this dinner we are guests at a Heavenly feast where those in the faith that have ascended to the Father join us as well.  If you haven't guessed, I'm talking about Holy Communion where we receive the Body and Blood of our Lord for the forgiveness of sins. 

During Holy Communion I'm always reminded of the Transfiguration.  I know you are probably asking yourself, "What?  How is that possible?  They are two different things."  Yes they are, but in some ways they are not.  In both, as I previously mentioned, it is God Who comes down to us.  It is truly good to be in His presence as you will see.

Matthew 17:1-8 (English Standard Version)
The Transfiguration 
1And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and clothes became white as light. 3And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. 4And Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah." 5He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him." 6When the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were terrified. 7But Jesus came and touched them, saying, "Rise, and have no fear." 8And when they lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only.

In the account of the Transfiguration,  Peter wanted to stay on the mountain a little longer. He wanted to stay in this place not because the place was magical or that it was filled with sentiment.  He wanted to stay because he was in the presence of Jesus, God the Father, and the forefathers of the faith.  In this moment he was at peace with the God of the universe and with his neighbors as well. 

This is how I feel when I'm at the Lord's Table. I know, it's a little pious to say this. However, like Peter on the mount, I'm at peace and I want to stay just a little bit longer.  Here I am a guest of the "Maker of all things visible and indivisible" - why do I concern Him?  Like Peter, I'm a guest with the forefathers of the faith and those martyrs as well.

Then the moment ends just as fast as it began and we must descend back down the mountain to the valley.  Although we must leave, we don't leave Him on the mountain.  We take Him with us into our next week and into the remainder of our lives.  Come to think of it, a day will come when we will never have to leave the Feast.  Then we can truly say, "Lord, it is good that we are here."  Sola Deo Gloria+



"Therefore with angels and archangels and with all the company of heaven we laud and magnify Thy glorious name ."

No comments:

Post a Comment