Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Kind Word

Spouse/Family

It has been a difficult and stressful time for me and my family over the last three weeks.  There are times that I have felt that everything I touch or have touched turns to - pardon the expression -  crap.  I won't go into details, but it involves a robbery at our house and me purchasing our house before  I met my wife.

Sometimes in our darkest times a kind word will come our way that will lift our spirits.  That happened to me today at Toastmasters.  While I was in front of the group, another member was explaining to the prospective members the ice-breaker speech.  While explaining it to them, he referred to my speech that I gave two years ago.  For some reason he remembered me talking about how important my wife and child are to me.

Granted, he wasn't saying, "Al, you're a great father and husband." However, it felt like a glass of ice water on a hot day and it was just what I needed.  This wonderful observation by my fellow Toastmaster for a brief moment took away a great deal of the "crap" that I spoke of earlier.  

After I left the meeting I thought,  "If others know what means the most to me, maybe that means that I'm actually trying to live out the values I profess. More importantly, however, I hope my wife and child benefit from my actions although I don't get it 100% right all the time."  


No comments:

Post a Comment