Friday, February 10, 2012

Shut up Already!

Intellectual / Self improvement
Goal: Read 12 books

After a recent Rotary meeting, I met with a fellow member that is also a current business prospect.  He wanted to tell me that he was not happy with his current financial advisor and wanted to meet with the money manager that I introduced him to last October.

The conversation started out with why he didn't like what his current advisor was doing, and it kept going.  He explained to me that he could do better than him, the advisor lost money, the fees he was being charged were too high, and other reasons why he should be fired.  Then it happened, I butted in and tried to explain what we could do for him.





I just finished the book SPIN Selling by Neil Rackham.  I enjoyed reading this short book about sales.  In some ways it's counter intuitive to what I have learned in my many years of selling - the method where I do most the talking and convincing - and is what I was trying to do with the prospect I just mentioned.  With Mr. Rackman's method, you listen first, find the problems, have the prospect explain the consequences of the problem, offer your solution, and then explain the payoff.

Fortunately, I remembered what I learned from the book and stopped myself from bestowing upon him how great we are and how well we will take care of him.  I have to remember, if someone is talking himself out of a current provider, shut up!


No comments:

Post a Comment