Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Behind the Curtain

The Faith

A couple of years ago I went for a long period of time without looking at my checking account balance.  I know, after looking at my goals on this site you are probably saying to yourself, "How can this be?"  It's a long boring story as to why I did this, therefore, I won't go into.  However, there came a day when I had enough and wanted to find out what was in my account, but then I lost my courage because of what I was afraid that there wasn't as much in the account as I thought.  This cycle actually went on and on for about two years. 

Recently a friend asked me about my faith and what I believe about suffering and pain in this world.  While researching my response to her question I came across this quote:

 "Not that I am (I think) in much  danger of ceasing to believe in God.  The real danger is of coming to believe such dreadful things about Him. The conclusion I dread is not, , "So there's no God at all," but "So this is what God's really like.  Deceive yourself no longer." C.S. Lewis The Problem of Pain 

In 1999 I had a "mountain top" faith experience.  It was an incredible moment in my life that I will never forget. I'm not sure if it was genuine, but it set me on a course to discover what God has done for me/us through Jesus.  At that same time I was going through a very difficult heart breaking experience. As I was learning more about the Lord I tried to understand the actions of the person that hurt me and if it was all organized by God; predestined.  It drove me crazy trying to figure it out - it was like a big shell game - is He under here, is He under there?

I asked my dad for and advice and he told me a story of St. Augustine and how he tried to explain the mysteries of God. Augustine said trying to understand the ways of God was like digging a hole in beach and trying to empty the ocean into it.  Even today I hear from fellow believers, "I wonder what God's plan is for my life?" 

After thinking about this subject for many years I have reached the lofty conclusion;  I have no idea how God works in the midst of pain and suffering and whether he allows it, initiated it, or uses it to turn evil into good (think Joseph and his brothers).   Well wait a minute, maybe I do.  I remember that during my lowest points there He was with me. 

The Lord was with me during my broken heart, at the scene of a horrific accident, and at the death bed of my father.  I don't know if He predestined these events or just let them happen.  If He did let them happen, then for what purpose?  I'm told by Holy Scripture to "have the faith of child."  When I tell my little one something about life, she generally doesn't question it.  When the Lord says, "And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age" maybe I should heed His word and trust Him. 


Isaiah 55:8-9 (English Standard Version)
8For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.
9(A) For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. On the way home from the Tenebrae service last night Teddi asked, Who were the prisoners in hell and what would have Jesus spoken to them about? Pastor Krueger is thought provoking as expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the passage the explains to whom He preached. As the sermon explained, this was the first step in Christ's exultation; a kind of victory lap.

    1 Peter 3:18-22 (English Standard Version)

    18For Christ also(A) suffered[a](B) once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous,(C) that he might bring us to God, being put to death(D) in the flesh but made alive(E) in the spirit, 19in which[b] he went and(F) proclaimed[c] to the spirits in prison, 20because[d] they formerly did not obey,(G) when God’s patience waited in the days of Noah,(H) while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is,(I) eight persons, were brought safely through water. 21Baptism, which corresponds to this,(J) now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but(K) as an appeal to God for a good conscience,(L) through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22who has gone into heaven and(M) is at the right hand of God,(N) with angels, authorities, and powers having been subjected to him.

    ReplyDelete