Wednesday, March 2, 2011

An Inheritence

Family/Spouse

I was adopted in the early 70's.  In 1973 I was almost four when my adoptive mother passed away after a long battle with cancer.  I remember just a few things about her outside of  what I have been told.  For instance,  I remember laying in bed with her and my dad when I got scared.  I remember  her giving me a bath and swirling the hot water around when the bath water got cold.  There was one time I remember eating at certain restaurant called the Tick Tock.  I even remember the cigarettes that she smoked.

In the years following her death, many of our relatives told me about her.  They told me on many occasions how much she loved me and how hard she fought against the cancer. Even to this day they tell me how proud she would be of me.   I am thankful for their insight and wouldn't trade it for anything - they keep her alive in some ways.  However, I always wanted to hear about her in her own voice even if it was in writing.  Basically, I don't know much about her.

Recently, my mom's sister sent to me a DVD video made from some old home movies.  My mom was in a few scenes and it was great seeing her.  After watching this I started thinking about my own situation and what it would be like for my child if I was to pass away before she could really form in lasting memories. 

While visiting with a client, he told me about a question and answer book for grandfathers.  This book was designed to jog the memory and  had a format to document your responses.  This book would in essence, become a legacy or inheritance for the writer's children and grandchildren.  He went on to tell me that at first he didn't want to do it.  However, after a few questions he couldn't put it down.  I thought, "There has to be something like this for fathers."

After some research on Amazon I found that book. I'm going to a book store in the next couple of days to pick it up.  In case you are interested, here is the title and author; A Father's Legacy: Your Story in Your Own Words by Thomas Nelson.   I have a feeling that this will be an interesting project and will accomplish what I hope. 

I have learned that passing on values, traditions, the faith, and wisdom as an inheritance are just as important as leaving money.

No comments:

Post a Comment