Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Fine Line

Long Term Goals

In the movie Flash of Genius, a movie based on a true story, Robert Kearns invents an intermittent windshield wiper.  After presenting it to Ford, they went on to steal his idea.  Mr. Kearns decided to sue Ford and represented himself. While on the witness stand he explained how he came up with the idea.  He said at the moment he conceived the idea he had what inventors call a "flash of genius." 

Recently, I came up with an idea that fits into one of my long term goals - create a new idea or product that would benefit people.  I'm not sure if I had a "flash of genius" when I thought it up.  After many years of trying to figure out unique solutions to problems, I have concluded that there is a fine line between brilliant idea and pure crap. 

Since that day it has been a fun ride.  When I came home and told my wife about it, for once she gave me an approving nod; poor girl has had to listen to a great deal of crap ideas since we were married. After telling her about the idea we searched on the Internet to see if there is anything like the idea.  So far nothing.

After our search turned up nothing I decided to contact an attorney that I know at a local firm.  He's an intellectual properties attorney and has seen it all.  From my discussion with him he thought there might be some merit to this idea.  He thought it would a good idea to have me talk to one of his contacts that has experience in the field where my idea will be used. 

My attorney's contact reached out to me and didn't laugh me off the phone, which was a relief.  I told her the idea and she seemed to think there is potentially an idea in our midst.  Now we are researching it to see if it can be done.  Let me re-phrase that. We are researching it to see how it WILL be accomplished. 

I'm not sure if this idea will go anywhere.  I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time.  What I do know is that it has already been fun just trying to move that line.

Gil Previck (Robert Kearn's friend):" I mean, come on Bob, it's just a windshield wiper. Robert Kearns: to you maybe. To that bartender up there. But to me it's the Mona Lisa."

No comments:

Post a Comment